Friday, September 23, 2011

Tattoo Etiquette

As a tattoo artist, I deal with a wide range of people on a day to day basis. I enjoy meeting people from all over the world, in all different trades, religions, ethnic groups, and stages of life and spirituality. I feel that it is society's college, so to speak. I have learned so much from my great group of customers, but I feel that there is a percentage of them out there that could use some knowledge on tattoo shop etiquette. So, for all of those out there, you may want to see if you fall into any of the catagories listed below.
1. Flea market bargain shoppers. Should be pretty explainatory. These are the customers that come in wanting either a huge tattoo, like half their back or a full sleeve, and are unemployed and dont have a dime in their pocket to put down for a deposit, or they want a script name on their neck with two colors and stars, but they only have $5. The most irritating is when someone comes in with a reasonable tattoo, talks one of the artists down 20 or 40 bucks and then says they dont have the money they negotiated for. If you know u cannot afford a tattoo, dont haggle a price, that is just retarded. Your wasting everyone's time and you are getting on the artist's bad side, so if you ever do come back in, they may not be so willing to be nice to you.
2. I'm just looking shoppers. Ok guys, I am not stupid. We are in Texas, it is hot, and I am aware there is a bus stop on the corner. Yes, my tattoo shop is nice and cool, but guess what, it is not a social hang out. Once again, you are disrupting and wasting my time. I have other people's designs to work on. You know who you are. You come in and want to go thru every piece of flash in the place, dont know what you are looking for, dont want any help, constantly watching the time on your cell phone, and then dash out to catch your bus. So, because of people like this, it has changed the way tattoo shops do business to an extent. Now, when you walk in my shop, you will see no flash, no design books laid out on the coffee table for you to look thru. Instead, you will be greeted by an artist or manager, asking how they can help you. If your response is "Just wanting to look at some designs." You will be asked what kind of tattoo you are thinking of getting. If you respond with a "not sure" or "dont know, just wanting to look at designs", then you will be told, that maybe you need to get some ideas of what you want and then come back so we can help you. I know this seems harsh, but unfortunatley, the amount of stragglers that have wasted hours of our time have made it this way.
3. Wanting a friend deal shoppers. Ok guys, I do like to get to know my clients. I am a friendly person. I love conversation, and that helps me know what my clients like and how to make the tattoos perfect for them. Talking helps most people get thru a tattoo easier, and in the process, especially after a few tattoos, we do develop a friendship. But, business is business. Please dont come to me wanting a crazy low price, or credit. I do not give credit - even to relatives - it just breeds ill feelings. Dont prey on me for a "special friend deal" or how many people you are gonna bring to me. You came to me because you wanted my work first, becoming friends came second. Dont ask me to short change my shop because you want more than you can afford, calling me your good friend, when the only time I actually see you or hear from you is for tattoos. Real friends are more than that.
4. Got a quote 2 years ago. Ready for that tat now? Ok, and what was the tattoo. I am sure you were quoted a price 2 years ago, possibly from another artist, manager, and maybe from me, I cant remember a random quote from that long ago. What I can do, is talk to you about the tattoo right now and give you a quote, please keep in mind that it will not be good for 2 years either.
5. Indecisiveness. Ok, we have decided on your tattoo, you have done paper work, and paid, and I am making the stencil, but guess what? You have changed your mind. You dont want that one anymore, you want the other one we were looking at.. WHAT?!???? Ok, if you cannot pick something and stay with it long enough to get it actually tattooed on you, YOU DONT NEED A TATTOO!
6. I love children, but..... it does not say daycare center on the front of my shop! Children are welcome in the waiting area of the shop, as long as they are supervised. And what I mean by supervised is, dont let them be tearing up magazines, tattoo portfolios, wiping their nasty hands, mouth and face all over my glass displays, grabbing things off the receptionist desk, or taking a crap and smearing it on the walls. If you cannot control them, dont bring them. If they are screaming out of control, take them outside. Be respectful to the artist, they are creating permanent art on someone and do not need to listen to you yelling at your kids or your kids screaming, or smelling dirty diapers.
7. Complainers... It is a tattoo... IT HURTS! That is just the way it is. If you are a wassa, dont get one. We dont want to hear about it, we have tattoos, we know what it feels like. If you cannot carry a conversation, or talk about something else, then shut up.
8. Movers.... If you move, how are we supposed to do a quality job on your tattoo? Ha Ha, right? You think it is all fun and games now, but guess what, we dont. Be still. Dont answer your phone while we are tattooing on you, and dont think that you know how we want you positioned and instinctively move where you think it is better for us. Guess what, we will move you or tell you to move when we need you to. Stay put where we have you, and quit asking if we want you to change positions.
9. Fighting Couples. About a month ago, I had a couple of clients that were married. I did a restore on the husband one day, while his wife also had a friend with her. Everything was fine. End of the week, the wife and husband came back for her to get her tattoo. She started off ok, then started complaining, then moving, then they started fighting, she just keep on about stupid crap with him, like picking a fight. On and on. I had to get him to leave so that I could finish the tattoo. They were just one of those couples that love to jack with each other in public, with no respect for anyone around them. Remember folks, a tattoo is an artistic thing. Tattoos come out better if your artist is in a good place, not annoyed to hell, so keep the social displays of retarded out of the tattoo shop.
10.Not tipping. I guess that most people out there, unless they are long time tattoo veterans, are not aware of how tattoo artists earn their money. Well, out of the money you pay to the shop, the artist gets a small percentage, and they do incurr costs they pay out of their own pockets, like for machines that can cost $350 to $750 each, ink sets that can add up to thousands, and various other things. You tip a tattoo artist or piercer just like you tip your bartender, especially if you have an outstanding tattoo, and you had a good time getting it.
Well, that is my top 10 things that we see in the shop most of the time. If you have any questions or would like to add to this list, leave me a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment